Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MNO Question of the week.  (Read 60383 times)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I'll leave his name out of it but he is a friend I don't see very often any more.  The main thing I remember is walkin over planks as the bank had started to thaw.  I had just moved here to MN from KY so I was a big aprehensive to say the least.

:fishing:
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
My Uncle Jimmy, memory is when he open the ice hole with a blast from his 12ga. and it sound like the whole lake was spitting wide open. That and running to where trees grew because then I knew I was off the ice.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"

Who was the first person that ever took you ice fishing and what do you remember from that first hard water outing that makes it special to this day ?

:fishing:   :happy1:

My dad took me when I was 5 or 6.  I didn't catch anything, and it was cold.  the best part was drinking hot coco on the way home. 

I am glad for all the improvement in ice fishing equipment over the years.  My boys enjoy ice-fishing a lot more then I did when I was a kid.  Now we have a portable fish house (with heater).  The rods are so much better then the old fashioned sticks we had to pull up by hand.  We have flashers.  It makes it easier to get kids hooked on ice-fishing today. 

So take a kid out and introduce them to the sport!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
16 hours to Norquay Sask. every year.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
First time I went ice fishing, a friend and I went by ourselves on Deer Creek west of Spring Valley. We were 5th or 6th grade & used uncooked bacon & some angleworms we'd saved for bait. We caught creek chubs and fell in!

My brother took me when I was in high school over to Lake Pepin. We fished overnight out of his Vega. Caught nothing but the notion that we were driving around on the ice in an automobile was still something that thrills me to this day. Am taking one of our friends from Texas later this month. Reckon it'll be as much fun to hear her tell other people about it as it will be to fish.
« Last Edit: February 02/05/08, 03:31:19 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
MNO Question of the week for April 7th-12th.

What is your favorite live bait to open water fish with and why?
« Last Edit: April 04/09/08, 08:49:15 PM by Outdoors junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Loren Waalkens

• Outdoorsman
Without a doubt, willow cats. Why? because big eye's here on the river love em.

Loren Waalkens

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Heard about those being THE bait while fishing on the river. 

Myself I've always liked using Rainbow chubs-used to trap my own.  Otherwise retail chubs are great for walleye! (If you don't mind taking out a small loan to buy them).   :whistling: Regardless, walleye LOVE them all!
« Last Edit: April 04/09/08, 10:02:08 PM by Woody »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
MNO Question of the week for this first week in October 2008.

What is your favorite animal to hunt or fish and why?
« Last Edit: October 10/03/08, 10:43:52 AM by Dennis Servaty »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
My favorite (even though I don't do it as much as other things) is upland bird hunting.  I love the walk through the woods an fields, being with my hunting parters, seeing a dog at his/her peak...and it's generally nice weather -- at least it has been the times that I have done it.

Next would have to be white tails by bow and that's where I spend all my time in the fall.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My favorite is the whitetail deer.  It is the highlight of my year when I am in the woods hunting this crafty beast.  Then I am sad when the season ends.  Then the next day I am starting my plans for the next year.  I enjoy scouting and finding the best place for stand placement.  I enjoy checking the trail cam.  This year I will get to bring my 12 year old with.  I can't wait.   :dancinred:
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i have to go with deer, whether i see one or not. just to be
in the woods is enough for me.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Sure....toss that one out....  :scratch:

I don't have a favorite.

I hunt turkey's in the spring, fish all summer long, early goose hunt, then bow hunt, then duck hunt, then bow hunt some more, and toss in bear hunting, and pheasant hunt....then rifle season and muzzle loader season.......I........I......I, can't choose!

BUT ! The one thing I have in common with all of these activities is.....my kids do one of the aspects or another with me!   ;D

So, that would be my reason why.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hands down deer hunting is my favorite. I am with Dennis on this one. After season is over I am counting down to the next season. I spend a week with my whole family (when I am not in the woods). Even if I dont get a deer I enjoy being out in the woods. I admit if I dont get one I am a little discouraged but that goes away in a couple of hours. The only bad thing about our deer hunting is when we do get some I do 90% of the gutting and skinning.
This is Younghunt13's second season and that is more fun than getting deer myself. He has not got any yet but maybe this year.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Deer hunting by far is my favorite. I shoot a doe or two every year and every now and again a buck, but it's the first deer of the season that walks past my stand that gives me the "rapid hearbeat" syndrome that I can't get enough of.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I spend most of my time hunting deer, but I think the one that gets my heart racing the most so far  is sitting on stand and waiting for, or seeing a bear. If you have not done this before I recommend you should add it to your list.

However, for me my all time favorite would be all of the hunts for animals I have not gone after yet.
  I find more excitement trying something for the first time (the first hunt) two years ago I was planning an elk hunt in Colorado. New maps, equipment, planning events, new friends,

Then the trip was canceled and yes, that sucked. But just the planning and learning about Elk that took place was great.

I will get them next time

Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Deer Hunting with the rifle is all I have time for now days. Used to love bow hunting but that is on the back burner for a couple more years.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
MNO Question of the week for this second week in October 2008.

Out of all the guns and or bows you have owned, what has been your favorite and why?

:scratch:
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline antlermass

• Outdoorsman
I would have to say, one of my first rifles I had got, remington 30-06 open sites- I've put down a bunch of deer with this.
Otherwise my Mathews Ignition because it fits me so well, until my arms grow another inch, so I can upgrade to a full adult bow ;).

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Without a doubt it has to be my Savage 243.  I can drive nails with it and it has killed everything that I have pulled the trigger on. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
My oldest boy has a Savage 243 - its great.  I helped him sight it in and I really like it.

Anyway, back to thw Q of the Week.  My fave is my bow - Browning F5 Tornado.  Not many people have heard of it and it was only made a year or 2 but this bow is great -- very quiet and somewhat light.  Also I got 3 deer with it last year and before that I went deerless for many years. -- just like a "buckless Yooper."  :rotflmao: 

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
Rem. 870. I treat it like crap and it treats me so well.
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"

My favorite is my grandpa's old 30.06.  He gave it to me 9 years ago.  He harvested many, many deer with it.  It shoots straight and has never let me down.

:happy1:
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Browning A5 that has been passed down through the family.  Still knocks down pheasant for me every year! :fudd:
"AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL"  -Jeff Simpson

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
A little 10 shot glenfield .22 semi here , there have been so many stories and tall talls with that little gun that has been around for over 40 years.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
MNO Question of the week for this third week in Oct 08.

What was the first deer you harvested?  Give us the details...Share the story.  How old were you?  Gun or Bow? 
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i started hunting when i was 12 years old and i didnt get my first deer until i was 16. this was before we started QDM and shot whatever happened to come by. i remeber it like it was yesterday, it was the first sunday of deer opener and i was sitting just inside a bean field, in my dads old deer stand. i looked to my left and saw a ear twitch and then the deers head it was a doe but i was to late and she locked onto me and ran, stopped in the feild and i shot at her and missed. then about half hour later i spotted another deer coming down the same trail and was ready for it this time, 2 does walked out at about 35 yards from me, i had a hard time telling which one was bigger so i shot the first one and she ran about 20 yards hit a tree and fell over. i was so excited that i almost jumped right out of my tree stand litterally. went up to try to track her even though she was already dead luckily i watched were she fell because there was no blood trail. it was a little doe that i shot with my 30-30 with my tasco scope. then the fallowing afternoon i got my first and only buck so far. it was a 6 pointer but he was aged at about 5 years old and dressed out at 210 lbs, also took this deer with my 30-30.

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
The first deer i shot was when I was 14. My Dad stoped hunting about 5 years prior to that so My older brother (16 and also never deer hunted) and I decided we were going to take into our own hands to start deer hunting. We asked arround at school untill I found someone that said they would ask their parrents if we could hunt on their property. It was about a week prior to season when we finaly got a yes. We went out that Monday and built stands with a trunk full of 2x4's and a hammer n' nails. That Saturday morning we were both in our stands and @ first light I heard my brother blast away.... 9 TIMES! I was feaking out. There were shoots everywhere. By 9 o'clock I was getting antsy so I let out a fawn bleat from my WalMart call to see if I could get a reaction. Within 30 seconds a small buck about as adolecent as I was came up the trail and stoped broad side about 15 yards from my stand. That day my brother shot a yearling doe and I shot a button buck. They were, and still are 2 of the greatest deer we have ever gotten. The cool thing is that we had no clue what we were doing. We didn't sit in a box stand that someone place for us. We were just 2 kids that wanted to hunt so we figured it out.

Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline dag1980

• Outdoorsman
First deer I shot was when i was 13 I believe. I was posted at the end of a corn field and out party was doing drving and I wcould hear deer running in the corn and our guys yelling "deer commin" "deer Comming" and sure enough a doe jumps the fence at like 20 yards and the a fawn but can't shoot because I only had a buck tag. i remember my heart racing and my body kinds shaking. Finally, I hear two shot in the corn and then a 4pt hopes the fence and as soon as his front hooves hit the ground I shot and then he ran about 20 yards and shot again and hit him in the spine and he tried to crawl away and i remember shooting 3 more times. So in all I shot five times and hit him twice I think. I was so pumped and nervous and excited. That is why I keep wanting more.  :fudd: :fudd: :toast:
If I can Grill it, I'll Kill It!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Many years ago I went hunting with a friend of mine.  As we walked through the woods, I spotted a tree I thought I could climb and find a spot to sit.  (back then we didn't have perminent or portable stands.  We just climbed a tree and sat on a branch.)  My partner continued on his way.  About 10 minutes later a small 8pt ran up to within 20 feet of my tree and stopped in a dense stand of small popples.  I did my best to line up a shot and let one fly.  Nothing seemed to happen.  I didn't see the deer run away and I didn't see it laying on the ground. It seemed to simply dissapear.  I stared at that group of popples for what seemed forever (probably less than one minute) when all of a sudden I saw an eye blink.  After a few moments I was able to make out the deer and this time it dropped when I fired.  This all happend in the fall of 1979 but I still remember every detail of the expierence.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***