Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1490237 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I need to try making homemade kraut again. I did the 3 or 4 qt jars thing once and it turned out perfect.  The next time it didn't taste good. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I like Franks brand sold in a bag...   never made it...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Man oxtail stew is something I have always wanted to try.  Had some at a friends house 20 years ago and loved it.  Kraut and ribs is a 5 star dinner too!
Nothing better than some veggie oxtail soup. I was like that one commercial where the lady is running out the store saying start the car, start the car. I just happened to look down and two of the four packages were marked wrong. Instead of $25 for just under 2 pounds for the ox tails they had two packs marked for only $2.50. I scooped them up used the self checkout line and headed for the door and didn’t look back.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You are management material Coffee.   :rotflmao: SO good to hear from you too by the way.  :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Man oxtail stew is something I have always wanted to try.  Had some at a friends house 20 years ago and loved it.  Kraut and ribs is a 5 star dinner too!
Nothing better than some veggie oxtail soup. I was like that one commercial where the lady is running out the store saying start the car, start the car. I just happened to look down and two of the four packages were marked wrong. Instead of $25 for just under 2 pounds for the ox tails they had two packs marked for only $2.50. I scooped them up used the self checkout line and headed for the door and didn’t look back.

$12 / pound for ox tail?   :doah:  I'd say the other two packages were marked wrong.   :confused:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Got to agree Steve-o, did some checking & just under $10/lb was the cheapest I found. That was 10#'s too, seen 1 that wanted $14/lb. :rolleyes:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman

$12 / pound for ox tail?   :doah:  I'd say the other two packages were marked wrong.   :confused:
The last two years the price for oxtails and beef short ribs have gone through the roof. I used to be able to pick up oxtails for $2 to $3 a pound. Now they are over $10 per pound. The same place where I got the oxtails had one pack of beef short ribs for $31 and that was for a pound and a half.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so i had to google this oxtail........basiclly the tail of a cow??????? what would be the difference between an oxtail or just getting soupbones???

we get soupbones when we order a 1/4 or 1/2 beef. i've looked at soupbones they sell in the grocery store, there's not near as much meat on them as the ones we get from our beef!!! :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
same thing
seems like a rip off to me then.  unless there's more "flavor" due to the proximality of where the tail is located?? :evil:  :rotflmao:

so....if we see a blurb on the news that there are cows out in Pennsylvania running around with no tails........we kinda know what coffee's been up to???? :scratch: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
bought a Costco lasagna and going into the oven...  heard they are good so wanted to try it...  it's what's for dinner!!!    :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did a Stouffers one a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't bad neither. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
momma hit up costco today.....NO premade meals here!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: oranges.....that are awesome, pineapple, grapes and strawberries. the berries are even dang tasty considering the time of year!!!!!!

i just hope it all lasts till the weeks end!!!!!! :confused: :surrender: :pouty:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
bought a Costco lasagna and going into the oven...  heard they are good so wanted to try it...  it's what's for dinner!!!    :happy1:

We always grab a few when we go. They're probably the best frozen lasagna we've ever had!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

We always grab a few when we go. They're probably the best frozen lasagna we've ever had!
We buy the small size a few times a year. I used to help catering once in a while, in my golf course days, & the caterer would buy them at Sam's all the time. She said everybody liked it & she couldn't make it for what they charged for it. Win, win!! :happy1: :cool:
« Last Edit: March 03/08/22, 06:06:00 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
momma hit up costco today.....NO premade meals here!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: oranges.....that are awesome, pineapple, grapes and strawberries. the berries are even dang tasty considering the time of year!!!!!!

i just hope it all lasts till the weeks end!!!!!! :confused: :surrender: :pouty:

well ain't you something special!!!   :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

well ain't you something special!!!   :rotflmao:
:happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So HD, Mike how are those as far as taste??? I tried a few of them brand names way back when. Not sure if feed it to the dogs back then. Think it was a popular name brand but not sure. I know I won't get a Stauffers brand again.

I'd entertain just MAYBE trying one again.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just got done having some for lunch and as HD said for store bought it's good!!!  I'd buy it again and now I see they have an italian seasoned one...   want to try that next!!!  add a little parm and eat away!!!   :happy1:

and yes way better than the one's you are talking about..
« Last Edit: March 03/09/22, 12:38:22 PM by mike89 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So HD, Mike how are those as far as taste??? I tried a few of them brand names way back when. Not sure if feed it to the dogs back then. Think it was a popular name brand but not sure. I know I won't get a Stauffers brand again.

I won't eat a Stauffers anymore since I've been eating these... no comparison in my opinion.

But, your kinda picky eater  :laugh:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The one we got was a Stouffers and it said double meat on it.  LOL  If that was double meat I would have not wanted to try the regular meat.  It was good but not great and thank goodness it was double meat.  LOL
I wish there was a Costco near us.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I won't eat a Stauffers anymore since I've been eating these... no comparison in my opinion.

But, your kinda picky eater  :laugh:
:rotflmao: i prefer good old home style cookin!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The one we got was a Stouffers and it said double meat on it.  LOL  If that was double meat I would have not wanted to try the regular meat.  It was good but not great and thank goodness it was double meat.  LOL
I wish there was a Costco near us.

We'll add a little meat &/or cheese to ours if there happens to some in the fridge sometimes too.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So the chicken that I was given I am going to make into soup today.  I have never done that from scratch before.  Thinking I will simmer the chicken for a long time and then take the meat off the bones and add some carrots, celery, onions, and mayhaps some extra wide egg noodles to it. May add some Better than Bullion chicken flavored to it too.  May need some green spices I'm thinking too.  ??

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So the chicken that I was given I am going to make into soup today.  I have never done that from scratch before.  Thinking I will simmer the chicken for a long time and then take the meat off the bones and add some carrots, celery, onions, and mayhaps some extra wide egg noodles to it. May add some Better than Bullion chicken flavored to it too.  May need some green spices I'm thinking too.  ??
is it a whole bird???? i'd cut it up. always add boulion !!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

looks like you got a good old homemade soup going there!!!!!!!! hows about cabbage???//

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
is it a whole bird???? i'd cut it up. always add boulion !!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

looks like you got a good old homemade soup going there!!!!!!!! hows about cabbage???//

what's wrong with grilling or smoking it then make some soup!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya she must cut them up so they don't take up so much room in the freezer.  It is simmering now.  Will add veggies right before cocktail time.  Speaking of grilling it Mike, my buddy from Luverne who is a great cook told me the other day that he was making chicken soup.  He buys a Chester Fried or whatever they call those cooked chickens at the store that are so great.  He eats some of it for a meal and then cuts the meat off and simmers the carcass to make soup and then adds the meat and veggies to it later on.  I bet that tastes great!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is a broosted chicken I think and yes very good!!   :happy1:

done things like that with rotisserie chicken too!!