Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ice conditions  (Read 33725 times)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw that 75 to 100 people need to be rescued off Red.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Incredible,  hopefully cookies crew wasn't involved.
« Last Edit: December 12/29/23, 06:40:04 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Just on the news right now.....75-100 people stranded on Upper Red Lake. Beltrami County Sheriffs office deployed.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Dumb azzes...

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It was the lead story on TWC when they came on with the weekend forecast at 5 this AM & they said it was more like 122 people.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Wanderer said he's up by Aitkin and has 7 inches of ice but needed a  dock section to get to good ice. No thanks

Net up with the guy at Reillys last night he said there Taki g wheelers on bowstring where he is at.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
"Emergency responders were able to evacuate the first four fishermen from the ice floe at 6:40 p.m.," the sheriff's office said. "At 7:37pm it was determined that all stranded fishermen needing to be evacuated had been brought to the main shoreline.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
You hear a lot of things and I wasn't there but I have read a few times now that the "crack" was where the ice had pulled away from shore about 30 feet. From the initial reports I would have thought the fishermen were way out there.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like the sheriff is barring ALL motorized vehicle traffic on red.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good call.  I just heard from a friend that he is driving around Ottertail Lake and that it is ice free!   Unreal!  On all of the lakes the water below the ice is above freezing.  Then add this warm weather on top and it is thawing from both sides I would think. It takes a lot of cold weather to combat that warm water below.  Just not happening this year.  He said there is some ice on the SW corner of the lake.  Must have blown what was left down there.
« Last Edit: December 12/30/23, 03:12:32 PM by LPS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yes he did!!!

Beltrami County Sheriff's Office
1h  ·
PRESS RELEASE
VEHICLE RESTRICTION ON UPPER RED LAKE
December 30, 2023
Upper Red Lake, Beltrami County, MN – Due to continued incidents of fishermen becoming stranded on and breaking through the ice on Upper Red Lake, effective at sunset on December 30, 2023, Upper Red Lake in the area under the jurisdiction of Beltrami County will have restricted access. Per Minnesota Statute 86B.106, vehicles are barred from traversing Upper Red Lake until the Sheriff rescinds this order. Snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles and all motorized vehicles are prohibited from going on the ice. A violation of this order is a misdemeanor under Minnesota Statute. If convicted, fines, penalties and restitution may be sought by Beltrami County.
The Beltrami County Sheriff has been in contact with the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Commissioner and director of the Department of Natural Resources Enforcement Division Colonel Rod Smith regarding this situation. County officials will monitor the ice conditions and when practical and prudent the Sheriff will lift this restriction.
After several days of rain and above freezing temperatures, ice conditions have deteriorated. Area lakes have very inconsistent ice conditions and extreme caution should be employed if you choose to venture on area lakes. Check the ice thickness frequently, do not drive vehicles on the ice and check with area resorts and bait shops regarding ice conditions before going on the ice.
-Sheriff Jason Riggs
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
ABOUT TIME

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup some more good eating fish!!! 

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
ABOUT TIME

Tough call to make on his part.  But when people can't use common sense and his people have to put their lives in danger to fix stupidity it had to be made.  I am personally amazed it has not turned into recovery more than rescues.  Just a matter of time.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I think the resorts, for the most part, do their job of marking safe routes and telling people where and where not to go. People don't listen and that's where the trouble starts. It will be a tough year for the resorts.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
The Big Bog Recreation Area camera up there this morning shows at least a couple 4 wheelers out on the ice along with 28 portables. I guess they figure a fine just the cost of fishing up there. Fines aren't big enough

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/bigbogcam/index.html
« Last Edit: December 12/31/23, 10:06:37 AM by KEN W »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We all know the type.  The laws don't apply to them. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the site, I will check it often.  Winter and Summer. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just watched 3 wheelers leave, my only question would be did they stay out there over night or go out this morning??     

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered that too.  Fun to check that site.  That must not be too far from shore.  Maybe at the beach right across from the State Park.  We climbed that fire tower once when it was open.  It may be on there.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered that too.  Fun to check that site.  That must not be too far from shore.  Maybe at the beach right across from the State Park.  We climbed that fire tower once when it was open.  It may be on there.

it is on the fire tower If I remember right... 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
This is what it says under the video.....

"This webcam gives you a live view of Upper Red Lake from the top of the 100-foot high fire tower located in the South Unit of Big Bog State Recreation Area."

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
ICE UPDATE - Otter Tail County, MN. 12/29/23
We wanted to give you a new perspective on the ice situation on Otter Tail Lake. If you look closely, you can see some shoreline ice, then another stretch of thinner ice, and then what appears to be open water. While there are other lakes that were capped over before the rain/warmth, ice conditions have changed. We would recommend anglers wait for more cold weather before venturing out. We will do our best to give updates after this weekend.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
polar plunges start today, no ice for the first time!!!